Tuesday 10 February 2009

Fires still burning ....

Our news is dominated by the fires still burning. There are over 180 people dead and the toll rises as the ruins of burnt out homes are discovered.

Looking at today's photo you could think it was Winter. But no, this is a dead tree (from the drought) and a grey sky with temperatures high and humidity close to 100%. Just to walk outside is to sweat or as Sonia says "Boys sweat but girls perspire".

Every morning I am woken pre dawn at around 4:40am by a chorus of birds. At that time it is the kookaburras and koels but later once the sun is up it is the wonderful chorus of magpies as they are here on the wires at the front of our house.Have a great week everyone!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

great photo

Anonymous said...

OMG I heard about it in our news here in germany! sending prayers and hoping it will stop soon!

Anonymous said...

Ooh...keep cool! Those darn birds can be so loud, especially kookaburras!

Anonymous said...

Your photo's are lovely! Those fires are just devastating...hope your safe!

Bling - our elf on the shelf said...

I`ve heard about the fire, it`s so, so sad. But love your photos for today :)

Karen I said...

The fires sound just awful.

Love your first shot! Sorry about the birds.

Iris said...

I heard about the fire here in Germany and send you my thoughts and prayers!
Love your photo!

Emma said...

Whew! I want warmer weather but not quite that warm. Great pictures.

Unknown said...

I send you strength and courage ....
The picture is very strong!

Amandac said...

Great photos Carolyn! Wonderful shot of the magpies singing!! I love being woken up to the sound of magpies in the morning :). We have been having disgustingly humid weather in Brisbane but now it's raining so I can't complain - I just wish the rain would go down to Victoria and give them some relief!