Tuesday 31 January 2012

Film vs Digital

Much as I love the convenience of digital, when I go back through older slides I am scanning, sometimes I wish I could replicate the colouring and overall look of slide film. My favourites were Kodachrome 64 and 25 (my current camera does not even go down to ISO25!) for the blues of mountains, oceans and rivers and Agfachrome 100 for the browns of deserts. Black and white was always shot with Ilford thanks to a friend who had an unlimited supply of this film. These were the days of conserving film and I remember on trips having to ensure I did not shoot more photos per day than my allocated daily quota.

Here is one photo recently scanned and scrapped:


I love the light in this photo of the market place in Manakha, Yemen. I was doing what I usually do when travelling. That is finding a vantage point, where I can sit with a camera and long lens and view people without being too obvious. On this occasion, I was sitting on the side of the road running just above the market place. Now if I had had a digital camera back then, I would have taken hundreds of photos instead of the full 36 film on that day.

Here is another scanned slide, this one from India.



Now onto digital.


On photography days now, it is not unusual for me to shoot hundreds of photos. My photography aim for this year is to focus more on lining up and composing photos, rather than shooting away with the hope that one is "acceptable". This seems to be working as I am rarely cropping photos now but with 600 plus "keepers" in my lightroom database for January alone, there is still some work to be done... ;-)

Some recent pages from recent photos.





Have a wonderful week everyone!

No comments: